Sunday 20 April 2014

Magnetising monster bases

I use plastic boxes with sheet metal to move my models, I superglued disc magnets under the bigger bases. That works most of the time, but with bigger bases they do come loose depending on how they are removed from the metal sheet. I figure it's the sheering force that the superglue cannot do much against, so I looked into getting some side-ways support going.

I've tested this now on some flight-bases and I am happy with the the result, so here is what I did. Using the hobby saw, I scored a grove into 2mm thick plasticard stock and marked off sections with a marker.


Using a milk can perforator from the super-market as a center punch and a hobby vise as support, I drilled pilot holes and then 6mm holes for the 6x2mm disc magnets I wanted to use for this model. With rough stuff like this, I have no qualms about using the little power tool, the holes end up bless wobbly than with a hand drill and the little toy's RPM is low enough to avoid thermal problems.



Next, I used clippers to weaken the line between the sections and then broke them apart. I also clipped off a corner of each section.


Using plastic cement, I stuck a section into each corner and clamped them with the paper-clips. A quarter hour later, I superglued the magnets in place.


This should hold nicely. ;-]

No comments:

Post a Comment