Friday 26 July 2013

Metal plague marines to the rescue!

While I haven't completed something awesome in the last days, I've not been idle at the hobby front either.

My greater brass scorpion got Nuln Oil on the non-armor parts. I had to strip my paintjob from the claws and re-prime them. It's my first time working with a Forgeworld model and wasn't prepared for how smooth (and possibly coated with release agent) some of the parts were. I intentionally scratched the claw pieces with a wire brush and used 600 grid sand paper on it to give the primer a chance. I then primed it with black Vallejo Airbrush Primer. I'm hoping for better luck this time around.


My Skull Lord is assembled and magnetized for weapon options and some flexibility on pose and primed. I'll get to him when the Scorpion is done.

I've bought two lots of Nurgle themed eBay auctions. One for really old Plague Marines with spiky helmets which had never been assembled, primed or painted. Really nice lot with five full seven man troups of plague marines with metal bodies and plastic accessories. I've based those on magnetized bases now.


The other lot was a small death guard army which looked to be composed of plague marines. I gambled on that one and was very happy today to find that it contained 25 metal plague marines, most of them with the same nice mold as the currently offered ones. The lot also came with a metal Typhus, a great unclean one, four metal plague bearers, a rhino and some plastic marines and possessed.In addition, there is also a pile of bits that came with it. One can never have too many bits!


 The plague marines were just primed. I'm just running them through the ultrasound cleaner with some warm water and dishwashing detergent. I'm guessing they'll be good for painting after that. I could of course rip the primer off the models, but there will be always tiny remains making repriming no better than just using the existing priming.

I already had two units of plague marines from the current type, but their plague knives snap of very easily. Because of that and since I like minis to have some variation, I wanted to get some older metal models.

No comments:

Post a Comment