Thursday 4 July 2013

Heldrake paint job

After playing my heldrake quite a few times with just black primer on it, I finally painted it. By no means a masterpiece, but it combines the strengths of airbrush and regular brushes to good effect. 

The armor pieces are covered in successive layers of primary blue, with each subsequent layer being smaller and more white mixed in. That gives a great colour gradient which looks interesting. This would be very hard to do with brushes, but is trivial with an airbrush. 

The fittings on the armour however, would be a nightmare to do via airbrush - with or without a metric ton of masking tape. With the side of a reasonably sized brush however, it's no witchcraft. 

After painting in the chest and eye glue and adding some Nuln Oil shade I was quite happy with the overall impression. 



I bought another heldrake kit because I really want to make one with fiery wings and gold fittings, but I would have had to break apart the wings of my first drake to properly do this.

BuyPainted has done an awesome tutorial on how to do this:

No comments:

Post a Comment