Friday 26 June 2015

Eldar Craftworlds Seer Council

For quite some time I wanted to get a Seer Council on Jetbikes going. The conversion did look so daunting, in particular regarding the green stuff clothes that I shelved this and didn't touch it.

Just before the new Craftwords release announcement I had picked up six old style Eldar jetbikes off eBay at half of list price. I also had a single jetbike left from doing the Guardian and Shining Spear bikes. That meant I needed to find the bits for the riders!

From left to right, we have some prospective riders. A plastic farseer came with the lot for my wraith knight recycling, a couple of metal Eldar psychers from eBay, a shuriken cannon rider body. Two spare heads from the new Skyrunner clamshell and finally the first warlock I painted, since that model doesn't really fit in with the models I painted later.


Motivated by some newfound confidence, I grabbed my clippers and mutilated the metal models. The hobby saw did part of the job as well. My plan was to use the regular jetbike rider legs and arms together with the psyker torsos and a bunch of spears to make the riders.


After a significant amount of time spent making sure that the torsos did fit on the legs and looked somehow plausible, I pinned the torsos to the legs. Deliberately, I didn't attach the riders to the bikes yet. I also left the center and the rear parts of the bikes separate to make it easier to paint. I put magnets into the torsos and the spears to counter the expected breaking of these parts.


As next step, I rolled out some green stuff and cut it to approximate size to make hakama-style pants covering up the plastic legs. It took quite a bit of effort for me to get these bits into place and have them look half-way believable.


Then I clipped the pins that hold the consoles with the handlebars to give them less grip, fit them into place without glue and glued the arms between the handlebar and the shoulder.I glued small plasticard triangles to the bracers of the plastic arms holding the handlbars for use as an armature for green stuff sleeves. It's starting to look like something deliberate!


I put the spears and riders on a buch of rod-magnets and the bike hoods, centers and rears on paperclips stuck in cork for painting. I primed rider, spear and center in black with a white zenital highlight. Hood and rear I primed white. Hood and rear I airbrushed, the remaining bits I painted with a regular brush, trying to maintain the previously created shade. There isn't anything regarding the painting that I didn't already show in previous posts for this army.


Instead of converting the bike hoods for the theme, I cut up a bunch of decals from the big Eldar decal sheet to make seven distinct hood logos. The Farseers got modified hemlock decals in the style of their chest armor design. The warlocks got the white decals of the sheet and custom variations of the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment