Wednesday 7 August 2013

Plague marines getting some colour!

There is progress on the plague marines! You can see the current status in the picture below. Note that the marines next to Typhus have Nurgle marked shoulder pads courtesy of my Dremel.


I'm saw a very impressive Death Guard tutorial by Awesome Paintjob Lester Bursley.  He starts that tutrial with a miniature in grey. I guess that is grey primer, but it's not mentioned.

Grey and white primer have given me less smooth results than black primer before. I already had old models and didn't want a bumpy primer layer. So I used Vallejo Airbrush Primer in Black. I let that dry troughout and then applied a thin layer of Vallejo Model Air (=VMA) Light Grey. The result was a light grey, smooth surface.

For the relatively light green base colour, it is really important to have a surface that isn't pitch black. A grey surface does not have to be completely covered up with paint - it is neutral by itself. That means less coats, a thinner coat and also less paint used. Win time, win detail, win materials. Awesome!

Following Lester's guide, I then covered the models with a base coat of VMA Olive Drab, a dark green. Then it's over to the Vallejo Game Colours Plague Brown and Dead Flesh. Those are a medium brown and a light fleshtone.

Vallejo Game Colour is thick and meant to be applied with a regular brush, but using Vallejo Airbrush Thinner and a secondary container with a plastic mixing stick, it's easily brought to airbrush consistency. This isn't ideal, since the VGC range is meant to dry faster than the Model Air range, but it works fine if properly thinned.

You an see Lester's guide here:


I'm not sure if I'll go all the way. First, I'm not a master painter, I'm not expecting to get a result of the quality shown in the tutorial, second, I'm not sure if I want to do all of the 75 models quite that elaborately. Granted, only a handful has exposed faces, I'll see how I get on.

Being challenged where seeing red/green colours are concerned, I'm quite grateful for the colour references. That way I don't need to ask someone else to check coloours I picked for mismatches. =]

No comments:

Post a Comment