Monday 10 June 2013

Wraithguard weapon options

With the new Eldar Codex and models, I wanted to check out how the new plastic wraith minis  compare to the old metal ones. As you can see, the plastic models are a tad taller than the metal ones. I had already swapped the metal models to the new base size.




The new set comes with two different ranged weapons and either an axe and a shield or two swords as melee weapons. Even though this is a 40mm base model, it is actually less beefy than generic space marines, offering less material for happy drilling and magnets. I didn't particularly need the plastic models to be flexible, but I wanted to see if I could get it done.

The picture below shows the parts laid out with the size of the magnets I inserted noted next to a magnet of that size. The main problem were the wrist joints, in particular the hands. A 2mm wide and 2mm deep magnet doesn't quite fit in there. Any deviation when drilling the recess destroys the hand. I used smaller 1.5mm wide and 0.5mm thick magnets for the hands, which fits nicely. Everything else is 2x2, besides the magnets in the torso, which are 3x3 for extra brawn. I deliberately drilled through the shoulder end of the arm rather than try to hit the needed depth without going through where possible.


Now I can swap the weapons of the model around as needed. You can see the result below.


My take on this is, it can be done, but it's probably better to pick the options you really need and just go for those - or even pick up an extra box or two of these guys as needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment