Monday 29 July 2013

Plague zombie kit bash

One of the many things that I wanted to try out with the Chaos Space Marine Army was the option to run Cultists as Zombies with compliments of Typhus' special rules. Fearless, Feel no Pain, Yay!

I didn't want to use regular Cultist models for this though. I mixed two boxes of Cadian Shock Troups and one box of WHFB Zombies to build 40 Plague zombies. This required some creative cutting and gluing, since the Zombie parts do not fit together like the Guard parts, that is to say, they have a hollow or a protusion instead of a flat surface. With a bit of patience, it does come together though.


When mixing those kits, I tried to have at least one green Guard armor part tie the look toegether for each model. That could be a helmet, shoulder piece or chest piece or a combination of those items. Rather than go to much medieval, I only used some scythes from the Zombie weapon kit, and improvised others. I added zombie hands to guard arms. The hands with the stretched out fingers really go with the zombie theme and the guard arms provide uniform pieces.



Not wanting to spent too much time on these cannon fodder models, I hit them with the sand and green colours first via airbrush, then added the yellow GW fleshtone I like for this using a normal brush.


Afterwards, I added some Leadbelcher for the metal parts, various browns for accessories, wood and hair, Administratum grey for the Aquilas and rank stripes. I then washed the minis with Reikland Fleshshade.

In the front row you can see the nice effect of trimming down some zombie heads until they fit into the spare helmets that come with the guard sets, as well as some Tamiya clear red on the exposed guts.




The bases I covered with Stirland Mud and their sides with Black. I've been too distracted by alsways new shiny things to get any basing done. In so far even this minimal alibi-style base work is a step forward for me. ;-]

I'm quite happy with the overall result!

No comments:

Post a Comment