Monday 19 October 2015

Battle Report: Vraks Unending Host vs CSM 1500 pts

This game was intended as a test of the second edition of the Imperial Armour Vraks battle-forged detachment "Vraks Unending Host" from my side, and testing some CSM HQs by my opponent, who usually plays Khorne Deamonkin.

My List consisted of four troup units of renegade infantry with three 20 man squads each. I swapped five gits per unit for a chaos sigil carrier and two heavy weapon teams each. This left me with 4x2 lascannons, 4x2 autocannons and 3x2 rocket launchers and 192 T3 infantry without armour but with flashlights. Three sentinels with heavy flamers did away with the points otherwise needed to buy each git a 6+ armor save, I did spent the points for militia training though. As my one heavy support choice I picked 4 quad-launchers with three crewmen each.

Knowing a week ahead what I'd be doing (since I didn't want to play something this unorthodox as a surprise), my opponent brought Fabius Guile, Arkos the Faithless, four bikers, one eight and one ten man squad (with the ten man squad being Fabius-buffed), twenty cultists, autocannon havocs, a mauler fiend, a Sicaran with heavy bolter sponsons and a lone baleflamer helldrake.

The shared idea was to have a giggle. Right on!

We diced off the random stuff, got maelstrom mission one. My opponent set up the terrain, I won the first player turn.

After setting up I discovered quickly that I deployed my lascannon units wrong, since they caused a traffic jam of units that couldn't run forward properly due to this. The Quad-Launchers killed all but one of the cultist units thanks to a lucky roll of the scatter die.


My opponent advanced, with the mauler fiend taking the first volley of fire and being wrecked in the second round. My quad launchers took out all the autocannon havocs, leaving the aspiring champion alone. My sentinels got blown up, all but one. I failed the roll for the return of the first completely wiped out infantry unit. HA!


The Chaos Space Marines then got into melee and slashed through quite a few units like a hot knife through butter.


After that can of woop-ass was cracked open, I had five units eligible for respawning on 2+. I made all those rolls and brought the units back from the flanks. That's a hundred wounds bouncing back! However, since those models moved, that means neither assaults nor as accurate shooting as BS 3 permits. A mistake, since I forgot to take my maelstrom cards into account, I could have not rolled for at least one of them to bring it over my table edge and seized an objective.


After turn five, I was behind on points and would have clearly lost the game had the dice ended it there. In turn six, the units that respawned in the previous turn were firing at full ballistic skill and wiped out the remaining CSM units.



While the movement phase took a bit longer (doh!), skipping the psychic phase and being done quite quickly with shooting meant that game progressed nicely.

The quad launchers played out significantly above average, wiping out cultists and havocs down to one dude each and blasting another marine unit to smithereens. My opponent also taught me the proper way to do multiple barrages, I had the hit mark wrong. Being able to cut down on scatter with hit blasts really helps.

The chaos sigils are worth much more than their point cost (3 base for the guy +5) and also worth more than the opportunity cost of special weapons. Being able to reroll failed tests is a great help with 4+D6 random leadership.

Overall this was a fun game, playing markedly different from what I'm used to. The list definitely has potential for entertainment. Motivated by this, I primed all the infantry models black and gave them a zenital highlight of desert tan on the following weekend and wrote this report. Right on!

No comments:

Post a Comment