Friday 28 November 2014

Magnetizing infantry bases

Imperial Armour 13 made me keen on my Chaos Space Marines again. Given an opportunity, I grabbed some Guardsmen and vehicles. For me the first step is squaring the models away for my storage scheme, so I got out the magnet foil.
Recently, I started putting weights into the bases. Initially, because I had some soaring Shadow Specters that I considered likely candidates for spillage, but then just because in addition to the lower centre of gravity, this gives more adhesion surface for the magnet foil. Since the result is very convincing, I thought I'd write it down. :)
1. Squeeze a circle of gel glue into the base and place a appropriately sized coin or washer on the glue.
2. Using a flat object, push the coin/washer into the glue so that it is level with the base edge. Let the glue dry.
3. Sand the edges of the bases and any potential glue flat.
4. Cut the magnetic foil into stripes wider than the base, pull off the covers and place the models/bases on the self adhesive surface, leaving a gap between bases for the scissors.
5. Cut the strips between bases and cut out the foil around the base, leaving a narrow rim of approx 1-2 mm.
6. Trim the rim using a sharp hobby knife by resting the blade on the base edge and turning the base into the blade - just like a pencil sharpener.
7. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment